Saturday, May 7, 2011

Loved // Didn't Love // On the Fence


I'm a total scribbler. I like to scribble things down on the corners of notebooks, in the memo section of my BlackBerry and sometimes even on the back of my hand. At the end of every week I go over what happened, a few things I loved, a few things I didn't love and find meaning in even the most insignificant things. These are just a few...
  
: Things I loved this week :


(1) COMMUNITY: FISTFUL OF PAINBALLS: This episode was ridiculous in every mind-boggling sense of the word. Dan Harmon is brilliant, melding creativity and innovation into one genre-bending hybrid of awesome (<- exactly why I don’t write reviews) and has brought this half-hour NBC sitcom to an untouchable level of genius. The cast is phenomenal as always, masters at timing and delivery. My favorite thing about Community is the dynamic between the characters and how well they play off of one another. Honestly, even without the flying florescent paint and Josh Holloway and his chin guest starring, I'd still tune in even if they were just sitting around, bantering in the study room.   

(2) PROF WITH THE SILVER TONGUE: One of my professors - we'll call him Prof for short - is the first to ever give me a C- since I started university (outside the world of Statistics 244) and call my essay “pretty” but a “gross generalization.” A little crushed, but determined to the point of insanely abandoning my social life in favor of schoolwork, I set out to prove the old man wrong and have gotten an A on every single microtheme and pensée since. He pushes me to want to be better, to write tighter thesis statements, challenge myself with deeper subjects and it helps that he is incredibly quotable. 

For example, the other day we were having a discussion on how the modern fascination with Glee stems from exposure to Disney animated films during childhood when this happened...

FADE IN: 

INT. CLASSROOM - DAY

GIRL
I wanted to be the Little Mermaid when I grew up

PROF
Well, I wanted to be the Beast. No, that's not true. I wanted to be Pocahontas.

FADE OUT.

Disney's The Gallopin' Gaucho (1928)
(3) MICKEY MOUSE WAS A BAMF: I recently wrote a paper uncovering Mickey Mouse's less than wholesome past. Turns out before he got his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, that little mouse who now teaches children to count to 10 and and which shapes are what used to hang out in seedy cantinas, liquor up, manhandle Minnie and blow some pretty impressive smoke rings. Aspiring actors, don't you be ashamed of your miniscule roles on CSI as bartender #1 or stripper #4. A start is a start. Mickey would know. Fun Fact: They later added Mickey's signature white gloves to be able to distinguish his hands from his body.  

  

(4) VIDEO: Underrated Actors being Awesome - Molly Burnett & Mark Hapka - HERE

...

: Things I didn’t love this week :

(1) FOOD is so expensive. 

(2) A GROUP PROJECT FOR AN ONLINE CLASS: How does that make any earthly sense? I’m trying to get things organized, but none of my group members and not even the TA running the class answer my e-mails. Frustration overload.

(3) THE FUTURE: Mom gave me the “get a real job” talk. I’m just, like, ‘mom, chill. When my novel/film/hit television show is paying for your monthly trips to Vegas we’ll be laughing about this.’ Being a wishful thinker doesn’t make me any less anxious about the future.


: ON THE FENCE :

The debate over whether it was right to celebrate Osama’s death or not. I understand that it should be taken into consideration that he did so many evil things and was responsible for so many deaths. I also understand the logic behind taking one life in favor of essentially saving thousands in the future, restoration of balance and whatnot. However, the facts did not rid me of the sinking feeling I got when seeing people in such extreme celebration. People opposed to the celebration cited the possibility of retaliation, but I think it's something bigger. I won't lie. The American in me felt triumphant and argued the justification of it all, but the Human in me can’t help, but wonder: does this mean one's sins justify one's death? Doesn’t that go against everything the Church ever taught us regarding trial and error and forgiveness? If we can bend morality and ideology in this case, can’t we bend it in other cases too?

Thoughts? Tweet me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment