Sunday, April 17, 2011

When Does the Wiser Catch Up with the Older?

Last night my teenage years came to a close with laughter, cupcakes on fire (literally) and accidentally setting off the smoke alarm in my shoebox-size apartment. Talk about going out with a bang, right? Well, actually, it was more like an eardrum-splitting beep at 12:30 AM. Yeah, I’m pretty sure my neighbors secretly hate me.

In the morning, Day 1 of being twenty, I wake up at eight or maybe nine, hair matted with frosting and a streak of blue candle wax down the length of my leg. I spend a second or two contemplating how my hair smells good enough to eat, roll over and fall back asleep. As you can see I am off to a fantastic start.


So here it is.

I don’t necessarily know what people blog about. As what I’m ready to call “research” (I’m a big fan of the overstatement) I spend maybe ten minutes hitting the “next blog” button and seeing what pops up. Pictures of families. Pictures of the beach. Pictures of families at the beach. Rants. Raves. Musings. Meditations. Declarations. Documentations. Stuff that confuses me. Stuff that scares me. Stuff in languages I don’t understand. After a while, I give up and go eat a toaster waffle.

Honestly I’m not clear on the Unspoken Rules of Blogging (if someone knows, I’d love a crash coarse) so I’m just going to do my own thing. Even if educated on the infrastructure of blogging, I’d probably end up doing my own thing anyway.

Warning: if you’re used to your idea of me, the me you think I am, the uncomplicated and the pleasant, wrapped up nice and secure with neat little labels, then you might want to stop reading. My mind is a deeply muddled, contradictory place. It’s the rabbit hole lost inside the rabbit hole. It’s a gallery of the good, the bad and the random. So you can turn back. Click your heels; click your trackpad. Stay away; stay in the cave. It isn’t too late!

If you’re willing to keep reading then you might take something from this and that’s awesome or you might just become a witness to my horrible descent into insane things, but let’s be honest, that’s kinda awesome too. Entertaining at the very least.

Congrats on making it this far and welcome to the first day of the rest of my life.

Now, as if I didn’t mention food enough throughout this post, I’m headed to eat some noodles and for once it isn’t of the “instant” variety. I get excited about eating real food. What? Blame it on the student loans.

No comments:

Post a Comment